Monday, June 05, 2006
Beware... New Orleans is no.13 !!
First the scariest .... This city is mostly one to ten feet (0.3 to 3 m) below sea level. Only 45% of the city is above sea level!!! do u really wonder why katrina affected this place so bad. remind ppl of something??

The names of New ohleenz are "Crescent City" which refers to the course of the Mississippi River around the city; its called "The Big Easy" cos its easy finding work here; and "The City that Care Forgot" refers to the carefree nature of the residents. New Orleans has always been a major place for music with its intertwined European, Latin American, and African-American cultures.

Greater New Orleans has many major attractions, from the world-renowned Bourbon Street, St. Charles Avenue, and many stately 19th century mansions. The most imp however, is the French Quarter (known locally as "the Quarter"), which dates from the French eras. Over here, people walking down the street without a drink in their hands seem out of place. You never have to walk more than a few blocks to find a voodoo shop. Other notable tourist attractions in the quarter include Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral which is the oldest cathedral in the U.S., the French Market (including the Café du Monde, famous for café au lait and beignets), and Preservation Hall.

Many people have contributed to the uniqueness of N.O. : the French and Spanish, Cajuns, Creoles, and free people of color. But New Orleans has also been a hangout for pirates, slave traders, and rogues. So many gruesome murders, infamous suicides, executions have happened here. Therefore, little surprise that many of the buildings here are said to be haunted. Eisha… can’t wait to go there right?

Near the French Quarter is the old New Orleans Mint, which is now a museum. The Natchez is an authentic steamboat with a calliope which tours the Mississippi twice daily.
Art museums in the city include the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) in City Park and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. New Orleans is also noted for its beautiful cemeteries. Because of the high water level here, the graves are placed in tombs above the ground making up the “cities of the dead”.

The city is also world-famous for its food. Specialties include beignets, square-shaped fried pastries that are sometimes called French doughnuts (served with coffee and chicory "au lait"); Po'boy and Italian Muffaletta sandwiches; Gulf oysters on the half-shell and other seafoods; etouffee, jambalaya, gumbo, and other Creole dishes; and the Monday evening favorite of red beans and rice. (Louis Armstrong often signed his letters, "red beans and ricely yours.")

the most yucky part is that they eat alligator there!!! check out the accompanying pic!!


am adding in the relevant pics alag se .... plz comment and also click on the ad wala link !!
posted by Ipshi @ 1:36 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At Mon Jun 05, 01:54:00 pm, Blogger Anush said…

    You know, I had no clue that New Orleans was actually such a pretty and historic city. (only read about Katrina all this while)

    Pirtates and killings,,,,,,,,hmm

    And alligator meat,,,,,,,eeeoh But I'd like to try the fried pastries.

    The raised graves were the most interesting part tho.

    Have these monuments and other things completely got destroyed? I wonder how much has got re-built.

    p.s I think I hold the record for the maximum no. of first comments on your blogs :)

     
  • At Tue Jun 06, 04:43:00 pm, Blogger eisha said…

    what a weird place! raised graves are the mark of beauty here.

    I frankly dnt understand why we have places like these. why can't ppl learn from there mistakes, if a place like Bombay can get flooded, i shudder to think the condition of New Orleans.

    And ofcourse Ipshi, I am for sure not going there, only 45% above sea level plus haunted, wow a 'Deadly' combination.

     
  • At Wed Jun 07, 02:58:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the pirates, they are handsome. Well, I like eerie places and eerie places. Kinda like that.
    And not to miss out on the sea food here, I waould definitly like to try Jambalaya if that's ok for my stomach.

     
  • At Thu Jun 08, 05:11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Raised coffins, haunted places, pirates, culture and historic monuments.. hmmm quite a killer combination! i shouldn't be making fun of it, but, im sure 40 out of the 45% is taken up by the graves!!

    '"The City that Care Forgot" refers to the carefree nature of the residents'.. really like this part.. if you see it the other way.. nature dint care for it either before it unleashed its fury on the city!

    Its a great post! i really like the way you've brought out the positivity inspite of the darker shades.. especially the images talk a great deal!!
    (advantages of commenting late, not an excuse at all, jus kiddin)

     
  • At Fri Jun 09, 09:59:00 am, Blogger Anush said…

    Hey Anand,

    Liked your twist in words about nature not caring for it either. Very true.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

It is only in my 30s that I have realised I will never be the elegant lady who can wear white without spilling something on it. I recognise my blessings like my family, my friends & my job & I am letting go of my fears of writing & just jumping in. I love my job. It has given me the opportunity to live in a city where I am surrounded by the most amazing friends in the world & the most surreal experiences. It also gives me the opportunity to read great books & travel to fascinating new countries. Join me as I share these with the world.

My fotos
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ipshi. Make your own badge here.
My mood right now

Yahoo! Avatars

My Oniomania

Links
Rambles in days gone by
Months of blah
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
 
 

Virtual human development game
free human development game
www.human-age.com